Connect with us

Nigeria vs Argentina: I don’t know why I didn’t award penalty to Nigeria – Turkish referee

Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakin said he did not know why he did not award the penalty for the handball of Argentine defender, Marcus Rojo, for Nigeria on Tuesday evening, according to Super Eagles captain, John Mikel Obi.

Mikel said the referee admitted that the ball touched the hand of Marcos Rojo in the 82nd minute of Tuesday’s game but he put up a defense in not awarding the crucial spot-kick.

The penalty, if awarded and scored at a time the match was 1-1, could have wrapped up a second round ticket for the Eagles.

Speaking at the post-match briefing in St Petersburg, Mikel said: “I asked the referee if he thought the ball struck Rojo’s hand and he said ‘yes;. The referee told me that the ball came off Rojo’s head before it hit his hand.”

Mikel added: ”I then asked Cakur why he didn’t award the penalty to Nigeria, he said: ‘I don’t know.’ That was sad because we checked the match video in the dressing room and it was a clear penalty kick.

“When the ball touches your hand in the penalty box, it’s a penalty. No two ways about that. Maybe he didn’t want to give us the second penalty. It is sad we had to exit the competition this way.

Speaking about his future with the national team, Mikel said he would be most delighted to lead the boys going further into the future.

I’m happy playing with this bunch of players. I expect them to grow into a great side and I think this team would make a good impression in the next four years. They are good boys with bright future,” he said.

“Of course, we did everything we could; we pushed and pushed to get the goal but it was not to be.

“We want to thank all Nigerians for their support; we have to keep going.”

Stay Connected Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Join Us On WhatsApp

Sport news

What Messi Told Neymar About Joining Real Madrid

Published

on

Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi, has privately urged Neymar to reject Real Madrid and push for a return to the Camp Nou, according to reports in Spain.

Neymar has made it clear that he wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain, before the end of the transfer window.

And the Ligue 1 champions are now open to allowing the Brazilian forward leave.

Barcelona’s hierarchy are set to meet with PSG chiefs on Tuesday to discuss Neymar’s transfer and are willing to offer Philippe Coutinho as part of the deal.

Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez, is also a huge fan of Neymar and has tried unsuccessfully to sign the 27-year-old on many occasions in the past.

Messi has now intervened by calling Neymar, to advise him against a move to Madrid.

Neymar spent four seasons alongside Messi at Barcelona and the pair won two La Liga titles, the Champions League and the Club World Cup.

Stay Connected Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Join Us On WhatsApp

Continue Reading

Sport news

Real Madrid Expect To Sign Neymar After Offering £110million, Modric

Published

on

Real Madrid are confident of signing Neymar Jr, after offering Paris Saint-Germain £110million plus Luka Modric, according to Sport.

Barcelona are interested in resigning Neymar, but Real are eager to bring him in as a belated replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo, who left for Juventus last year.

Real are looking to get the signing of Neymar over the line, before the Spanish transfer window shuts on September 2.

Modric won the Ballon d’Or last year and has helped Real to win the Champions League four times, but could leave as part of the deal.

Neymar joined PSG from Barcelona in 2017 for £198million, which still remains a world-record transfer fee.

The Brazil forward has an impressive goal record for PSG, having scored 51 times in 58 games, in addition to providing 29 assists.

He has also won the Ligue 1 title in both of his seasons at the club.

Stay Connected Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Join Us On WhatsApp

Continue Reading

Sport news

Cristiano Ronaldo Sells His Mansion To Pepe

Published

on

Juventus forward, Cristiano Ronaldo, has taken a £1.25million loss selling his mansion in Portugal to teammate, Pepe.

Hidden away by vast woodland and situated in Geres, the mansion, which includes a landing pad for a helicopter, was purchased for close to £3.5m seven years ago.

It boasts an area of around 800 square meters and includes a stunning view of the picturesque Cavado River.

According to Corriero da Manha, the deal between Ronaldo and Pepe was said to have been agreed while the national team was playing at the inaugural UEFA Nations League title.

Pepe, who played alongside Ronaldo at Real Madrid, is now back in his home country with Porto, after leaving Turkish side Besiktas.

Stay Connected Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Join Us On WhatsApp

Continue Reading

Trending